The COOLBOXUK Site

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Going Organic

Monday is delivery day! It’s always rather exciting waiting for my box… And what am I talking about??? Well, this:

Credits: everything from Club Scrap's "Farmer's Market" digi kit

I’ve been getting these organic fruit and veg boxes since early summer this year when I signed up following a junk mail flyer that came through my door! NOW – I’m really not the kind of person that normally reads junk mail, let alone reacts on it. In fact, they normally go straight into the bin. But there was something appealing about this particular flyer – a funny size paper with cartoon veg on it… I liked what I read on the flyer, so I visited the company’s website, and I liked even better what I read there. Their idea about weekly boxes (with a database for your likes and dislikes and a substitute system in place for things that you don’t want in your boxes…) and their ethical contract schemes and environmentally friendly principles impressed me. Things have not always gone smoothly but the service is good – every complain has been looked after promptly with money credited for unsatisfactory produce, so no problem really…

The company I’m talking about, in case anybody is interested, is called Abel & Cole – as far as I know they deliver in most of England. You can visit their website here: http://www.abel-cole.co.uk/ - even if you aren’t intent on buying, it is interesting to read about their concepts with contracts for farmers, non-airmail imports and “in transition produce”.

I must say that these boxes have also stretched my cooking ideas a bit further, since I now regularly get veggies that I would not normally buy in a shop, which then leaves me having to sort out recipes that I haven’t cooked before – and that’s interesting, too. Even Sean seems to enjoy the experiments (well, mostly…). And needless to say that the swap to organic produce and the increased amount of fruit and veg we now consume has got to be good for our health! I’m really quite enthusiastic about this (not that you wouldn’t have noticed…)…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home