The COOLBOXUK Site

Monday, March 09, 2009

The Diet

It's been a while again since my last post and I felt that I should be putting something on here but to be honest, there has been very little happening that would be worth telling. I did not go on my holiday to Scotland because I still didn't feel right, hadn't been dancing much for weeks and simply didn't feel I would have the energy for travelling, early mornings and late nights, and all the exercise of a week's worth of classes and dances... More's the shame but well...
Instead I went to see a Nutritionist in Addlestone, a nice Russian lady called Olga, to see if I could get some advice on my diet in general and on the anti-candidiasis diet I'm intending to do this year in particular. We spent an hour talking things over and I thought she had some most peculiar ideas which were very contrary to anything I'd heard and read so far - really rather heavy on protein and speaking quite loudly against grains (not only wheat but all grains) on the basis that our "stomachs are not adapted to so many grains because in our original hunter-gatherer lifestyle there would have been no grains because agriculture was unknown...??? I think I was too baffled to reply much to her theories - but I mean, does she think agriculture invented the grain?
So well, now I'm rather confused as to what I should eat - I admit my normal diet was rather based on grains, veggies and pulses supplemented with nuts and dairies. For a long time I did not eat any meat or fish at all, and only recently had I started to use some meat again in home-cooking, buying from a butcher in Laleham who provides meat from traditionally raised animals. I will probably have some more of that, but I cannot see that my diet will ever amount to Olga's suggestions... Hmmm.
Having said all that, I am since Ash Wednesday on this Anti-candidiasis Diet to which Olga prescribed some supplements (probiotics) and gave some further explanations. It all sounds okay at first hearing but it's really rather difficult: no yeast, no sugar, no refined carbohydrates and no stimulants. That obviously cuts out bread and Marmite, and all sweets, tea and coffee. BUT - there are sugars also in dairy products, fruit and many other things; everything fermented contains yeast and it's also in almost everything readymade like condiments, sauces and dressings; chocolate is a stimulant - and so the list goes on. It basically means cooking everything from scratch and learning to substitute in recipes, but planning a week's worth of meals is a nightmare, and I kind of have to relearn cooking as well. With Sean rarely coming home before 7pm or later it makes going out difficult - no more "ready pizza in the oven at 11pm" option; and eating out, even at friends, is almost impossible unless I want to hassle them up front with instructions. Whatever I'm going to do to survive Spring Harvest this year I haven't figured out yet? That will be the week before Easter, coming back on Maundy Thursday...
Well, so far the news - it remains to see how I'm going to do on this regime since I'm not known for the amount of discipline I can put up for anything I don't much like...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home